Saturday, February 7, 2009

Unit 3 Part 2 Research Log

1)Which of your questions did you try to answer?

*What are wheel spacers?

2)What exact terms did you enter in the keyword search screen?

*At first I only typed in "wheel spacers." The results I got were the brand of wheels spacers. Then I typed in "What are wheel spacer." The results I got were actually spacer brands and what the wheel spacers do.

3)What subject heading did you choose to be sure your item was on target and the best option for your search?

*The subject heading I chose was reference books to make sure that my subject was on point because it had nothing to do with the other headings.

4)What item did you eventually choose? Why?

*The item I eventually chose was the encyclopedia because it gave more descriptive information about the topic.

5)Give the bibliographic information for the item you chose.

Automotive Service; Inspection, Maintenance,
Author: Tim Gilles
Publisher: Thomson Delmar Learning Date published: 2007-08-07
Edition: 3

6)When you looked at the reference work, what quote did you choose? Why?

*

7)What makes this a reference book as opposed to a regular book you might find in the book stacks?

*It would be more as a reference book because it is more of a guide than a regular book that you would read.

8)In looking at the material in the book and the publication date in the bibliographic information, what year do you think the information really comes from?

*The information probably came out about 5 to ten years ago since it't the 3rd edition.

1 comment:

  1. Let's start with your search terms. It's not a good idea to enter search terms such as "what are wheel spacer." Using "what" and "are" don't generally serve you well. I suspect the original challenge was the specificity of "wheel spacers" in a search for a broad overview of automotive parts.

    Next, I tried to find your book: Automotive Service; Inspection, Maintenance,
    Author: Tim Gilles
    Publisher: Thomson Delmar Learning Date published: 2007-08-07
    Edition: 3

    Here are the problems I encountered: First, we have no books by Gilles, Tim in our catalog. There are some books by Gilles in LINK+, which I went to next; however, none from 2007 and none with the exact title you quote.

    Here are the three titles I found in LINK+:

    Automotive engines : diagnosis, repair, and rebuilding
    Gilles, Tim, 1951-
    Albany, N.Y. : Delmar Publishers, c1991

    Automotive engines : diagnosis, repair, rebuilding
    Gilles, Tim, 1951-
    Albany, NY : Delmar/Thomson Learning, c2002.

    Engine mechanics : diagnosis and repair
    Gilles, Tim, 1951-
    Boston, Mass. : Breton Publishers, c1986.

    The closest to your quoted title is the middle one. This prompts me to ask if you have this book at home, perhaps? If not, where did you find it listed?

    While you have certainly found a reference style of book, it's not clear to me how you got there. And that's what I need to know.

    ReplyDelete