Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Self Assessment Final
Starting library 1210 in the winter quarter I thought was not going to be interesting at all to be quite honest. Letting the quarter go by and doing the mandatory assignments, I realized that library class was very helpful and can help me in the long run. Some of the assignments were not difficult at all and some assignments came to be quite complex, but getting help from the professor made it very clear and understanding. All of the assignments was about researching and getting familiar with the library catalogs, searching through websites to find resources and useful information. Unit 1, Part 1 was about exploring the web and also finding information on specific topics. It was very useful with this assignment because it can help prepare for me with research papers. Unit 2 was basically about using a topic and breaking down the keywords to find alternative and more results. It really helped me to think outside of the box because keywords might not exactly fit a description of what your looking for so it is best to have a broad idea of the topic. Unit 3 was basically about finding resources from websites and the school catalogs to research your topic and it also showed me how to find more resources with what I was looking for. Unit 4 got to be difficult for me because I didn't really understand fully how to use the schools additional resources such as the school's library with the databases. The assignment were pretty much to find a topic and try to find it through the different databases that the school library had to offer. Academic Citation which was assignment five was just briefly about citing other people's work. I found both Unit 4 and five kind of a struggle, but got through them and understanding the assignment. Unit 6 was pretty much about authors, students, libraries, and etc. being treated fairly by being equal on using someone's resources and how should people be accommodated. Overall library was very helpful and interesting. I also learned new things and got to work the databases. I can come to what I learned in the long run when it comes to research papers and find needed information.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope you are finding the databases easier to use now, although I didn't see that you used them in your exercise.
ReplyDeleteJust remember that you can go to the reference desk and get help and I'm around if you want to stop by.