Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Unit 4 Assignment : Periodicals (Make- Up)

Periodical Assignment (Make- Up)

Answer questions 2&4

2) Name three articles, one from each of the three journals you chose.
*Time, C+E News, and Comparative psychology.
4) What are the major differences among these periodicals?
* the difference among these periodical is they can be:
* Scholarly/Research Journals
* Trade/Professional Magazines
* Popular Magazines

*The two general database I chose were ProQuest Newspapers and Directory of Open Access Journals.

* Create a Research Log Entry to answer the following questions:
For your first database:

1.Which database did you choose for your first search?
* The database I chose was the Criminal Justice abstract.

2.What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
* The term I entered is Police Activities

3.How many results did you retrieve?
* I retrieved 91 results

4.If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
* I just retrieved 91 results.

5.Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
* I determined that they we meaningful by seeing if the words matched with what i specifically typed.

6.Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article.
* The article I chose is The criminal career of the Ybor City Historical District: A longitudinal case study of changing routine activities in an urban setting
*Publication Year: 2000
Publication Type: Book
Identifiers: Crime Patterns; Economic Development; Crime Rates
Accession Number: CJA0370040004802

7.How did you determine this article was meaningful?
* I determined that the article was meaningful by reading the book overview and reading to see if it had anything to do with anything I was looking for.


Academic Search Premier
1. Which database did you choose for your first search?
* The database I chose for my first choice is academic search premier.

2.What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
* The search terms I used were: Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Jobs, and Civil Engineering Careers.

3.How many results did you retrieve?
* I retrieved 4 Results for Civil Engineering Careers.

4.If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
* I received more results with just Civil Engineering and I narrowed it down to making the title more specific by adding career.

5.Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
* I determined they were meaningful by looking for the specific title and clicking on the first search and checking to see if it had any information about civil engineering (I went based on the title.)

6.Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article.
* The article I chose was Civil engineering career management—the unwritten rules.
Civil Engineering (0965089X); 2006, Vol. 159 Issue 4, p152-153, 3p


7.How did you determine this article was meaningful?
* I determined the article was meaningful because it had to do with what I was searching for.

1 comment:

  1. Because searches in databases are controlled by the terms you enter and the algorithms you structure (such as Boolean operators), you will always get words that match with what you specifically type, so that is not an evaluative criterion. The key is to look at the article titles and abstracts to determine if those materials will answer the research question you have. So your comment: "by reading the book overview and reading to see if it had anything to do with anything I was looking for" is the right one.

    A comment such as "I determined the article was meaningful because it had to do with what I was searching for" doesn't say anything about evaluation.

    I'm glad that you completed these searches and I hope you have a better sense of how they work.

    ReplyDelete